“I learned a lot about gardening, and I have started my own garden with my grandfather, so I would just like to say thank you for all you did.” Taylor, grade 4
Granny’s turns school grounds into vibrant Schoolyard Nature Gardens with flower and food gardens, gathering spaces, and a nature trail. Then we provide the infrastructure, personnel, volunteers, integrated curriculum and project management to turn school grounds into educational tools teachers will use.
Granny’s Garden School provides a complete package of services that include:
design, creation, installation, management and year-round maintenance of educational vegetable and flower gardens, learning centers and nature trails on school grounds.
Our comprehensive outdoor education program includes:
- An educational package with:
- A 20 week in-school, plant based environmental education program.
- Customized curriculum and lesson plans aligned with both district and state requirements.
- Trained Garden Educators who prepare and teach lessons with classroom teacher assistance.
- We provide garden staff who are experienced with maintaining educational gardens.
- We recruit and manage groups of volunteers (high school/college, corporate groups) who provide the labor for year-round maintenance.
- We recruit and schedule parent volunteers to assist when classes are in the gardens.
- We provide all supplies.
- We offer summer and afterschool programs.
- We host Fall Harvest Celebration (an open house) to share the gardens with the community.
- We encourage students to garden at home with their families through the Granny’s Kids Garden Club.
- We maintain an extensive website where we share our knowledge, experience, lesson plans and resources with other school garden program developers around the country – free of charge.
Granny’s Garden School is an efficient, cost-effective organization that is known for getting the most out of every resource at our disposal. Most of our supply and service needs are met with in-kind donations.